Last night was a bit of a rough night for me as I almost caved and gave up on my diet for the night. I had all sorts of anxious energy building up and I couldn’t stop picking at my nails or eating sunflower seeds. Eating them with shells on takes a longer time so I don’t consume as many. The more I realized what I was doing with my nails, the more I did it! I was also hungry but it was late and knew I shouldn’t eat anything else but since I was in need of something to do I wanted to eat. It’s part of why I’m at 255 lbs. It’s a struggle I’ve dealt with since I was little. I have to find ways to expend my energy and express my emotions in a healthy way instead of eating them away. Eventually I realized that I needed to relax my mind and made a cup of chamomile tea instead. I have a goal of getting healthy and I can’t give up yet again.
Some things that can be helpful, that aren’t eating a bunch of calories, are:
- Drinking herbal tea
- Art therapy (I’ve found getting out a coloring book helps keep my mind unwind and my hands busy)
- Doing housework (There’s always something to clean)
- Doing some light exercise to expend energy
- Taking a hot bath with epsom salts and essential oils like white jasmine or lavender
- Writing/journaling (I kept a diary/Xanga/Myspace blog from middle school through high school just to think things through on paper and in writing – I forgot how much it helped)
- Talking to someone
- Yoga – I really want to try a class to get the basics down
I have to take this one day at a time…
What are some other relaxation techniques y’all use?